Friday 20 Feb 2026 Abu Dhabi UAE
Prayer Timing
Today's Edition
Today's Edition
World

Zuckerberg says Meta no longer designs apps to maximise screentime

Zuckerberg says Meta no longer designs apps to maximise screentime
19 Feb 2026 00:42

LOS ANGELES (REUTERS)

Meta Platforms CEO Mark Zuckerberg pushed back in court on Wednesday against a lawyer's suggestion that he ​had misled Congress about the design of its social media platforms, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues.

Zuckerberg was questioned on his statements to Congress in 2024, at a hearing where he said the company did not give its teams the goal of maximising time spent ⁠on its apps.

Mark Lanier, a lawyer for a woman who accuses Meta of harming her mental health when she ​was a child, showed jurors emails from 2014 and 2015 in which Zuckerberg laid out aims to increase time ​spent on the ‌app by double-digit percentage points.

Zuckerberg said that while Meta previously had ⁠goals related ​to the amount of time users spent on the app, it has since changed its approach.

"If you are trying to say my testimony was not accurate, I strongly disagree with that," Zuckerberg said.

The appearance was the billionaire Facebook founder's first time testifying in court on Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users.

While Zuckerberg has previously testified on ‌the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta ‌may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's ​mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs.

In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court.

The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite ‌knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges ​the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts, and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' ​mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for ‌similar ⁠claims in a larger group of ‌cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, and Snap. Families, school districts, ‌and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fuelling a youth mental health crisis.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the ⁠company was aware of potential harm.

Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the ​woman's health records show social media was a ​creative outlet for her. 

Source: REUTERS
Copyrights reserved to Aletihad News Center © 2026